"Night birds (1)" Top 5 Page for this destination Vung Tau Local Custom Tip by kokoryko

Vung Tau Local Customs: 6 reviews and 23 photos

Welcome!

Welcome!
      Nice bike!
    by kokoryko
      Not a lot of work tonight!
      My friend
      Red light
    by kokoryko

I am not (really not!) a beach goer, so I visited the city when I was not at the conference, “discovered” some Buddhist temples, visited the marked, got lost in the small streets. . . tried to photograph the local life. . . dreamed in the streets,. . . things I like. And I also was out at night, and had some . . . eeeuuuhhhh. . . . . , how to say? . . . interesting encounters, sorts of local customs, which, if I do not “approve”, (writing “not approving”, I mean, I have no value judgment to express about that custom, I just have the feeling that “special tourists” are promoting this sort of thing, and I do not belong to the species which practises that sort of “tourism”).
However, I think that these night bars give much more character to a place than the standardised- franchised “clean” places (like Starb. . café, Hard ro. . café, and all that sort of Mickey Mouse standardised brands which colonise the planet. . . . . ) you find in many cities of Vietnam and elsewhere in South east Asia; this is real life in some way, and, I found my visit in two of these places quite interesting, unexpectedly. . . . . . and in fact, if these bars are not “innocent”, it is not that bad as I first feared. And, finally, this is “heritage” from the American troops which were here for R&R!
Is it not difficult to resist when such a lady says “welcome”, as written on the door behind her, with a great smile? I stayed outside and the girls, not busy, were very kind posing for the curious foreigner, sitting on a big motorbike (picture 2), posing as groups, (picture 3), or demonstrating friendship or solidarity (picture 4). It was one of these places, with red light, of course (picture 5)! I did not “visit” inside one of these, but walking further, I finally decided to have a look inside another of these “establishments” (next “tip”).

• Written Oct 7, 2008

Comments

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Have you been to Vung Tau?