"See the Embalmed Ho Chi Minh, in Person!" Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Tip by AKtravelers

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi: 83 reviews and 156 photos

The line moves slowly toward Ho Chi Minh

The line moves slowly toward Ho Chi Minh
    by AKtravelers
      Standing in front of the mauseleum
      The parade grounds in front of the Ho Mauseleum
      One of the VIP guards by Ho Chi Minh's remains
    by AKtravelers

One of the prime, can't miss, highlights of Hanoi is the Ho Chi Minh mauseleum, where I got my first ever glance at an embalmed communist leader. I was with a friend who had seen Lenin in Moscow, and he said the experience mirrored that in many ways, including the need for silence around the body and the reverent slow but steady walk required of the queue standers. Ho seemed to be resting peacefully with his hands folded and his white goatee perfectly coiffed despite all the onlookers. I didn't get as close as I had hoped, so it was hard to tell if he was real but I'm pretty sure most of him was. Unfortunately, long pants are required for this expedition we sweated more than was probably considered reverent.
After seeing Uncle Ho, we were led out the back to his wooden two-room home on stilts by a small lake, with our guide extoling the virtues of Ho's simplicity. Sure, it's easy to live simply when someone cooks and cleans for you -- we noticed that neither of the two rooms was a kitchen or laundry.
By the way, no pictures are allowed of the embalmed Ho Chi Minh. Bummer!

Address: Hung Vuong, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Directions: Ba Dinh District
Phone: +84 4 3845 5128
Website: http://www.bqllang.gov.vn/

• Updated Oct 25, 2008

Comments

AKtravelers

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Hanoi?