"Kiel Canal / Nord-Ostsee-Kanal" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Transportation Tip by globetrott
Germany Transportation: 337 reviews and 308 photos
Kiel - Canal / Nord-Ostsee-Kanal is an artificial waterway that is around 98 km long it combines some rivers and lakes by artificial canals, in order to help the ships to save a lot of fuel and time, to get from Kiel to Brunsbuettel, avoiding the wide passage around Danmark.
In 1887 this project was begun under Kaiser Wilhelm I and first this canal was also called "Kaiser-Willhelm-Kanal"
Nowadays more than 41.000 ships are passing through this canal each year, that is more than an average of 112 per day that makes the canal the artificial waterway with the most trafic in the whole world. The largest ship I saw passing through had 54000 GRT and it had to take down the funnel a bit in order to be able to pass under the bridges.
On my pics :
2x M/S Caronia with 27.000 GRT - it is the ship, where I was working on for 4 years, its name was "M/S Vistfajord" at that time and nowadays it is called "M/S Saga Ruby"
and 2x "M/S Norwegian Dream" with about 54.000 GRT
and finally M/S Marco Polo
click here for the timetable of ships in Kiel-Canal
and "Liste der Traumschiffe" will show you the list
of cruiseships going through the canal.
Unfortunately this list is somtimes not correct, and
then you might wait there in vain !!!
More Transportation in Germany (12)
More Reviews (168)
- See All a funny shop for fans of the DDR
- See All Wittumspalais
- See All Zermahlene Geschichte / Crushed History
- See All Umweltplakette: Important for ALL...
globetrott's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6874 Reviews - 15326 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9909 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1666 Reviews - 3682 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2162 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3988 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1452 Reviews - 3459 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 880 Reviews - 2990 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1186 Photos