"Seedorf and a bit of my family's history" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Off The Beaten Path Tip by globetrott

Germany Off The Beaten Path: 479 reviews and 733 photos

Herrenhaus in Seedorf

Herrenhaus in Seedorf
      a lovely house closeby Seedorf
    by globetrott
      a backpart of the marorhouse in Seedorf
      same allee as in 1938
      my mother in Müggesfelde castle
    by globetrott

Seedorf is a small village in Schleswig Holstein, close to Bad Segeberg. It consists mainly of the manor-house that you will see on my main picture. My mother had told us many stories about this place, when we were kids : She had to serve there during the HJ-time, and she was forced to join the BDM (Bund Deutscher Mädchen), when she was 17 years old. With her austrian passport there was no escape after the "Anschluss" of Austria to the Deutsches Reich in 1938 and beeing in BDM started peacefully with singing, marching, group-activities etc. and it ended with assistance-works, when defending the area during WW II.
Seedorf as a romantic place with a lake nearby, the long alleys of trees, the manor-farm and the large woods was one of the stories my mother used to tell us, while we were children and we have been there several times on vacation : The manorhouse offers some appartments for tourists in a side-building and it is a great base for excursions to Bosau and other places.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Sep 16, 2008

Comments

globetrott Used To Live Here!

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Have you been to Germany?