"See the new Look of the Langlois-Etéveneaux House" Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Things to Do Tip by Kakapo2

Akaroa Things to Do: 93 reviews and 230 photos

Beige, bland, boring... Sad new look.
by Kakapo2

Here you see what they have done to the wonderful Langlois-Etéveneaux House in Akaroa. It did not make me cry but speechless.

The "light buff colour", as they call it, has transformed the splendid colonial cottage into a "no-one looks at it anymore" place. I stood on the footpath and apart from me nobody seemed to look at it. My husband had even walked past without turning his head although I had told him earlier that I was excited to see the result of making the house look like in the very early days. He had just not noticed it, and believe me, he knows Akaroa. Before the building had been a show-stopper, or better: crowd-stopper. The contrast of the green paint with the red bricks and the pinkish roses at the white fence was so perfect. Now it is bland, bland, bland, and all the beauty is gone.

Still I am able to admit that the house might now look like the original. But I hate it :-)

If you have not read my original tip about the Langlois-Etéveneaux House, here once more the explanation for the transformation: In a microscopic study of the lowest of 13 layers that coated the house it was found out that this layer was the crappy colour you see now...

Directions: Corner of Rue Lavaud and Rue Balguerie, opposite Visitor Centre and Bank of New Zealand.

• Updated Oct 1, 2008

Kakapo2 Visits Here Frequently!

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Akaroa?