"Freiburg im Breisgau" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by globetrott
Germany Things to Do: 1,233 reviews and 1,985 photos
Freiburg im Breisgau, in the south-west of Germany, and in the Black Forrest / Schwarzwald-area has some great sights for tourists:
1) Historisches Kaufhaus looks rather like the old townhall of Freiburg im Breisgau, BUT in fact it was built as an early department-store more than 500 years ago : The Historisches Kaufhaus is maybe the most beautiful building of Freiburg im Breisgau nowadays and it is used for concerts and other festivities. You may see some great details in the facade and under the arcades, but normally you cannot see the interior of that building, except you visit one of the concerts.
This house was built in 1502 by Lienhart Mueller, the decorations were made by Sixt von Staufen 1530-1532 and the balcony added in 1550.
2) Freiburger Muenster - the cathedral of Freiburg dates back to the year 1200 and it is without doubt one of the most beautiful gothic cathedrals in Germany. It looks nice already from outside but it makes sense to take a look inside for so many lovely details and fine decorations:
The pulpit is made of sandstone and there are lots of colorfull gothic windows. I had been there during eastertime, that is why the main-altar is hidden behind a giant cloth, that was taken away again after easter-sunday !
3) Schwabentor is dating back to the year 1200 and it is one of the 2 remaining medieval towngates in Freiburg im Breisgau. Still today most of the car-trafic going to the inner city is going through this gate, that devides the old part of the city with lovely old buildings in the pedestrian area and cobbled stones in the streets and the more modern part of the city with the train-station and modern shopping-centres at the other side of the towngate.
There is an interesting painting at one side of the tower and also some great half-timbered houses next to it and even one of the streetcars / trams enters the old town through Schwabentor.
4) Baechle is the local expression for a tiny river and also for this interesting system of tiny artificial "waterways", that you will find running through the centre of Freiburg.These Baechle are just about 30cm wide and 5-10 cm deep, big enough to step inside accidentially, while crossing the street. The water comes from a natural small river, that was totally replaced by these artificial waterways in the centre of town and led back to its natural bed outside of the centre again.
Stepping in is not so very dangerous, your shoes will get wet, BUT NOT filled with water, the bigger problem is that you might stumble and fall, so be carefull !
5) Hotel Baeren has an interesting and colorful facade and guide-books are telling us that this is the oldest Inn of Germany. It was mentioned in the history-books of Freiburg im Breisgau already in the year 1311 and at the facade you can see 2 more years indicated : 1358 and 1444, maybe during these years the house got a new owner.
This part of the city close to Schwabentor is the oldest part of town, and it has also some more houses dating back to the 14th century.
Directions: Read more about these sights and a lot more in my Freiburg-page, just click on the link below !
More Reviews (109)
- See All a funny shop for fans of the DDR
- See All Abensberg : a Hundertwasser - tower & a...
- See All Umweltplakette: Important for ALL...
- See All Farmhouses in the Black...
globetrott's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels