"Ryugyong Hotel" Top 5 Page for this destination Ryugyong Hotel Tip by Willettsworld

Ryugyong Hotel, P'yongyang: 4 reviews and 10 photos

I was going to put this in the hotels but thought twice about it! I had seen pictures of this monstrous building on the net before I visited North Korea and always thought it was on the outskirts of the city when in fact it's not from the city centre. You will be able to get very close to the unfinished hotel if you visit the Monument to the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War. Construction began in 1987 but ceased in 1992 due to the government's financial difficulties (it costs a reputed 2% of DPRK?s GDP, or $750 million). Some even say construction ceased because the concrete used was of poor quality. Whatever reason it is, it is one of the worst buildings I've ever seen and being 330m and 105 storey's high doesn't help it from being seen all over the city. I really wanted to ask my guides about it but knowing that I should really keep a fairly good relationship with them, I declined asking them. It must be such an embarrassment to the "powers to be" as it is a failure and I've even read that it has been airbrushed out of some publications. Must've taken a while to airbrush out!

• Written Sep 7, 2008

Comments

Willettsworld

“"Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb”

Have you been to P'yongyang?