"Linderhof - my favorite of Ludwigs palaces" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by globetrott

Germany Things to Do: 1,233 reviews and 1,985 photos

Linderhof castle - the Venus-temple and gardens
by globetrott

Linderhof castle - the Venus-temple and gardens
    by globetrott
  • Linderhof - my favorite of Ludwigs palaces - Germany

Linderhof castle was the only castle, that "mad" King Ludwig II was able to finish and live there - at least for some time.
Unfortunately the fassade was under restauration the last time when I had been there, but at least a huge tent with a print of the castle is to be seen there (my last pic)
At the same time it was possible to take pics of the interior,that is obviously not allowed anymore nowadays, as I can see on other VT-pages about this place.
I was allowed to and that is why you will see a lot of pics of the interior in my Linderhof-page !
The castle itself is rather small and from the terrace the king had a great view on the Venus-temple and the great garden on the terraces.
In the middle of the basin you will see golden statues - they look great today, as they had been recently restaured !
The entrance to the park is free, but if you intend to see the INTERIOR of the castle and the Grotto, you have to buy a ticket AT THE ENTRANCE of the park !
This is a bit confusing, as many visitors have to go back the 800 meters from the castle, where they expected to find the ticket centre.
Every 30 minutes the fontaine is working for 3 minutes in order to take pics...

Directions: Linderhof castle is about 17 Km west of Oberammergau and Ettal.
There is a fee to park your car ( 2,- ? a day ) and the parking is big enough for some hundreds of cars and buses.

Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1ffe4/139ec/

• Updated Sep 3, 2008

Comments

globetrott Used To Live Here!

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Have you been to Germany?