"THE HOT BOX - MOZAMBIQUE" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Things to Do Tip by DAO
Africa Things to Do: 366 reviews and 1,024 photos
In the capital of Maputo you will find the Iron House (Casa do Ferro) designed by Gustave Eiffel in the late 1800?s as a home for the Portuguese Governor of Mozambique. The building itself answers the question ? did Eiffel ever go to Africa? He designed the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty and Maputo?s grand Train Station. This is not his finest design in terms of form or function. Totally unsuitable for the heat, this elaborate hot box was never used for it?s original purpose. Like many Eiffel constructions this structure was manufactured in France and then shipped to it?s final destination. This probably explains why no one thought beforehand that it would be too hot to live in. Today it is used by the Mozambican Central Office of Historic Monuments with the help of modern air conditioning. It is located to the left of the entrance of the Botanical Gardens.
Address: Praša da Independencia, Maputo
Directions: Near the entrance of the Botanical Gardens. Maputo, Mozambique
More Things to Do in Africa (86)
More Reviews (340)
- See All Don?t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL ? THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels