"EIFFEL TOWER MEETS AFRICA - MOZAMBIQUE" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Things to Do Tip by DAO
Africa Things to Do: 366 reviews and 1,024 photos
The grand Train Station in the capital of Maputo is dominated by a large dome designed by Gustave Eiffel (Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty). Eiffel lived in Portugal in the 1870?s and designed several buildings for the Portuguese Colony of Mozambique. Just to add to the sense of history and grandeur, several old steam trains still sit on the tracks. There are daily trains between Johannesburg and Maputo, taking about 15 hours. There is a nicely appointed bar inside if you are waiting for the train or just want to enjoy the railway experience.
You may hear about the missing ?Kruger Millions? supposedly gold brought into this train station when Paul Kruger fled the British army during the Boer War. Sounds great and Paul Kruger did come here before leaving for Europe. Unfortunately it was 5 years before the station was built.
Address: Praša dos trabalhadores, Maputo, Mozambique
More Things to Do in Africa (86)
More Reviews (340)
- See All Don?t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL ? THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels