"The nightmare boat journey from Nuweiba - Aquaba" Nuweiba` Warnings Or Dangers Tip by blackrainbow86

Nuweiba` Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 4 photos

There are no tips warning anybody about the 'fast boat' trip from Nuweiba to Aqaba. Please read!! I did this trip in July 2008.

There are 2 boats that leave each day. However, these are not time tabled so you can be waiting literally all day before you leave.

12pm - Our mini bus arrives, we had to wait about an hour before we can get our luggage checked and then our visas (its probably a better idea if you get your visa in advance). There was a boat there unloading so we all thought "Great! We can leave in a few hours".

3pm - We learned that we will not be getting on this boat because its for pilgrims only who are now boarding. However, the next boat should be arriving shortly.

4pm - Boat arrives. Now we have to wait 2 hours for it to unload. In the meantime, we are stuck on the mini bus in the heat with nowhere to get food (well there was but our tour guide advised us against it).

6pm: We start to load our luggage on (you have to put it in a big cart on your own). We got on the boat. I was shocked at the MESS it was in. There was rubbish everywhere on the floor and rubbish on the seats alongside with food and stains. All the big bits of rubbish were just swept to the side of the boat!! We got 'upgraded' but had to tip but at least the floor was hoovered and it wasn't as crowded though there wasn't enough seats for people who upgraded. You can buy a burger on board but it tastes like cardboard. They take your passports away I suppose to check if the right stamps and visas are in there. You get them back.

7pm: The first boat with pilgrims leave!

8.15pm: We finally leave. The crossing itself takes about an hour.

9.15pm: We get to Aqaba. We went downstairs and everybody is pushing and shoving and yelling in Arabic. Security were only letting foreign people off first which seemed to anger the locals even more so more pushing and shouting. You must have your passport ready to show the guard your stamp and then you can go and get your luggage from the big cart. You have to pull it out yourself which is a nightmare cos everyone has piled their luggage on top of yours. Then you have to go through customs again. We finally got out into our hotel at 11pm. So it was an 11 hour journey!

My tips are to make sure you are stocked up on food and drink. Make sure your iPod batteries are charged and make sure you can bring reading material - trust me you will be so bored you need it! My iPod ran out while waiting in the port and I had nothing to read! And expect the worst! I heard some people have had 14 hour trips!

If you can fly from Egypt to Jordan - I'd advise this - will be quicker too!

• Written Sep 2, 2008

blackrainbow86's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Have you been to Nuweiba`?