The Gage: "Seems So Different for Dinner" Top 5 Page for this destination The Gage Tip by deecat

The Gage, Chicago: 5 reviews and 16 photos

Allan with his Monk Fish dinner at The Gage

Allan with his Monk Fish dinner at The Gage
      Dee's Organic Salad
    by deecat

The Gage is advertised as "Chicago's first and only gastro tavern" I had eaten lunch here this year with a group of Vt members, and this time, Allan and I ate here for a special DINNER CELEBRATION for our 45th wedding anniversary. I must say, that it has a whole different "vibe" in the evening....more like a great dinner club rather than a "gastro tavern". The people at our hotel, The Fairmont, made the reservations for us on a moment's notice, and we had no trouble at all being seated at 7:00 p.m. on a Thursday evening. We were first seated in room that was filled with noise. We asked to be reseated, and we were and with a smile. The second seating was just lovely in a booth toward the back. Our waitress was quite unique...very urban looking but quite "laid back" in personality. She did a marvelous job explaining the menu and precisely what ingredients went into each dish.

Chef, Dirk Flanigan does such an excellent job using the finest and freshest ingredients, mostly organic.

I was not too hungry, but Allan was starving so we skipped appetizers and went straight to the meal.

Favorite Dish: Allan ordered the special for that evening which was a Monk fish in a delicious sauce surrounded by fresh organic vegetables. The portion was not large at all, but it was oh, so delicious. Allan gave me a taste, and it melted in my mouth, and I found myself wanting more.

I ordered a special salad made with mixed organic lettuces, grapes, nuts, and blue cheese. It was quite delicious with its subtle salad dressing that added to the crisp, clean taste.

We decided to have a special dessert and coffee. It, too, was a very small portion, but outstanding. It was composed of an individual round pound cake, freshly whipped cream, and chocolate. The coffees were strong, hot, and ever so good.

It was a delightful evening in this rather new restaurant across from Millennium Park.

Address: 24 South Michigan Avenue
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Across from Millennium Park
Phone: 312-372-4243
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.thegagechicago.com/

• Updated Sep 1, 2008

Comments

deecat Lives Here!

deecat

Have you been to Chicago?