"My ATM withdrawal stupidity" Oslo Warnings Or Dangers Tip by jumpingnorman

Leaning against an old tower, Oslo, Norway
      Oslo, Norway
      Vigeland Park, Oslo, Norway
    by jumpingnorman

This is more because of my idiocrity but it might happen to others so I'll just write it. I decided to test if I can withdraw Norwegian money at the train station ATM because the Forex exchange was closed...At home in USA, ATM's usually just max to $300-$400 on withdrawal. Our bank does anyway. But when I withdrew from the ATM, I forgot the NOK to dollar exchange rate and just picked the highest number I saw so that I don't have to go back for more money -- number which was 7000. Well, I later realized 2 hours later that I withdrew too much because people were wondering why I was paying with 500 NOK (500 NOK is $100 each)...so I actually withdrew about $1400! I did not realize ATMs withdrew that much - not in America anyway. Great, now I have too much money to carry around on top of my dollars and euros. Well I guess more is better than nil - I should count my blessings instead! Hopefully I don't get mugged, but I just leave most of my cash at my safety deposit box even in a safe city like Oslo.

• Updated Aug 31, 2008

Comments

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Have you been to Oslo?