"Holocaust Museum" Holocaust Museum Tip by jumpingnorman

Entrance reminded me of Aushwitz-Birkenau
      facade of the museum
      exhibits
    by jumpingnorman
      at basement where I spooked out
    by jumpingnorman
      "tower" in front of house-like museum
    by jumpingnorman

I always support memorials for the Holocaust so that we never forget. Usually people go to the Viking Museum first, and then if you follow the road Huk Aveny and go past the street Fredriksborgveien, you will see a structure similar to the train station tower at Auschwitz-Birkenau (5-10 minute walk through beautiful houses with lots of Mercedes/BMW parked). Then you see this houselike museum (actually house of most "hated traitor" of Norway called Quisling who sided the other way in WWII)with an interesting facade because it has some sort of "digital/encoded tower structure" which I think refers to the identification card being given to identify a prisoner's ethnicity. Even the short coarse sandy road to the museum reminded me of the paths at Auschwitz. The staff was very nice and did not want me to pay because they were apparently having some technical difficulties, but still some of the audio/video were working and you could have audio guides in different languages. I really just preferred to walk around and look at the pictures of a bygone time which I hope will never repeat itself. There was a basement with one of those blue stripe suits that the prisoners wore and since there was no one else around, I decided to take pics beside it but as I was doing it with my timer, I heard a "psssssst" sound quite audibly and that kinda spooked me out. My imagination was telling me that whoever wore the suit was watching me, but later the staff assured me it was not haunted at the basement but that audible hissing sounds were present due to the audiovisual projections. Oh well... I still like this place and applaud the Norwegians for creating this memorial. Just have somebody beside you when you visit the basement...follow other museum goers but don't look like a stalker (lol). The walk around Bygdoy is fun and a good exercise for the day and that alone makes it nice to visit this place - on top of the fact that we should "never forget".

Address: Bygdoy museum area
Directions: ...down the road from Viking museum

• Updated Sep 1, 2008

Comments

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Have you been to Oslo?