"My Khe Quan Hue Vietnamese Food -- Little Saigon" Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Restaurant Tip by Ewingjr98

San Jose Restaurants: 97 reviews and 68 photos

My Khe
      My Khe
      Inside the restaurant.
    by Ewingjr98
      The shrimp powder rice paste appetizer
  • My Khe Quan Hue Vietnamese Food -- Little Saigon - San Jose

When we were heading to an event at San Jose Municipal Stadium, we decided to stop in nearby Little Saigon for dinner. I didn't know much about this neighborhood, so I didn't plan ahead... we just showed up and stopped in one of the first groups of restaurants we stumbled upon. We chose the Dynasty Plaza where there were three or four Vietnamese restaurants, and next door were several more. In the plaza we found the My Khe restaurant which focuses on food fromt he central Vietnam city of Hue.

The My Khe Quan Hue Restaurant quite obviously serves mostly Vietnamese customers and were surprised to see two European-Americans wander in. They happily pointed us to a table, and we glanced at their relatively small menu, then asked the waitress for suggestions. She quickly suggested an appetizer and a main course and we agreed with her choices. For the appetizer we had the #1... which the menu described as shrimp powder on rice paste (about $4). When it came, it was actually four small bowls of a thin layer of cooked rice paste with a sprinkle of shrimp powder and some green onions. With the four small bowls we were given a bowl of broth with a few floating peppers. We started eating the appetizer with our chopsticks (and we're pretty hand with these tools, so we did all right), until the waiter came by, handed us spoons, and walked away chuckling. We still didn't know exactly what to do with this unusual dish (dip in the broth or pour broth on the shrimp powder?), but we made do.

For our main course, the waitress suggest the #14 on the menu which ended up being pho with a variety of beef pieces including meatballs, brisket, and some unknown cuts (around $7). Two bowls of this spicy but amazingly tasty treat left us full. It was excellent, but some of the mystery cuts of meat kind of put our stomachs on edge! Laura had a very tasty iced coconut and sweet mung bean drink with her meal.

Overall, the pho was great, but I would stick with straight brisket next time. The appetizer was interesting but not something I'd eat again. Very authentic experience.

Address: 960 Story Road, San Jose, CA 95122
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: 408-920-9603
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim
Website: http://www.yelp.com/biz/my-khe-quan-hue-restaurant-san-jose

• Updated Aug 31, 2008

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to San Jose?