Sugar Reef: "Best for groups not couples" Top 5 Page for this destination Sugar Reef - CLOSED Tip by toonsarah

Sugar Reef - CLOSED, London: 6 reviews and 19 photos

Table for 8
      Table for 8
  • Pannacotta - London
      Birthday girl and husband
      With Chris at the Sugar Reef
    by toonsarah

UPDATE February 2011: The Sugar Reef appears to have changed its name to Grace and menus, prices etc have also changed, so the tip below may be less relevant now. I've retained it though as a reminder of a lovely VT meeting :-)

This restaurant seems to specialise in group bookings, so was an obvious choice when Jenniflower organised a recent dinner to celebrate a VT birthday, that of Dabs (aka Kristi). Eight of us gathered for excellent pre-dinner cocktails in the darkly stylish basement bar, before taking our seats in the rather cavernous (and therefore noisy) dining area upstairs.

We were too small a group to qualify for the set menu, but prices on the a la carte were reasonable and we all found something to our liking. The tempura prawns with a chilli dip proved an almost universally popular starter, but I for one paid the price later that night and for the next few days, as I suffered a nasty bout of food poisoning. I?m not sure I?d blame the restaurant for that too much however, as prawns can be notoriously dodgy, and they were delicious! My main course too, salmon with pesto mash and a fresh tomato and herb salsa, was very tasty, and most of the others seemed to like their choices too. Prices are competitive for this part of town, with meals charged according to the number of courses you choose and the day of the week:
Monday to Wednesday: any 2 courses for 12.00/any 3 courses for 15.00
Thursday to Friday: any 2 courses for 16.00/any 3 courses for 20.00
Saturday: any 2 courses for 20.00/any 3 courses for 25.00
As it was a Saturday we paid the higher price but even with several bottles of wine it was a reasonable 60 per couple.

Address: 42-44 Great Windmill Street, W1D 7NB
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Nearest tube is Piccadilly Circus (Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines) ? see map on the website
Phone: %s3 %cb 020 7851 0800
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 3
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Feb 27, 2011

toonsarah Lives Here!

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to London?