Café Emm: "A bit disappointing - but cheap!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ceviche Tip by toonsarah

Ceviche, London: 3 reviews and 4 photos

Café Emm
      Café Emm
      Goats chese salad
  • Salmon - London
    by toonsarah

Update April 2014: this restaurant has now closed; review left for my own records

Looking for a pre-theatre dinner in Soho recently, we stumbled upon this little place and were attracted by the simplicity and competitive price of its set menu. A friendly welcome and a table by the open window on this warm evening seemed a promising start, and all three of us found something to tempt us on the somewhat limited menu.

The goats cheese salad that Chris and I had chosen wasn't a great start, however. The cheese was very thinly scattered, and there was no sign of the promised avocado, although this was partly compensated for by plenty of tasty olives. Ingrid enjoyed her chicken terrine but wasn't excited by it. I was the winner though when it came to main courses, as my salmon was nicely cooked and presented on a small mound of good pesto mash. Ingrid and Chris had both chosen the linguine in a tomato sauce, and this was somewhat overcooked - indeed, it was likened by Chris to tinned spaghetti!

On the plus side, the meal was very cheap for central London at £8.95 a head for two courses, and the friendly and efficient service ensured we made it to the theatre with plenty of time to spare.

Address: 17 Frith St, W1D 4RG
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Nearest tube stations are Leicester Square (Piccadilly & Northern lines) and Piccadilly Circus (Piccadilly & Bakerloo lines)
Phone: +44 20 7292 2040
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 2
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Apr 19, 2014

toonsarah Lives Here!

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to London?