Crystal Jade at Pavilion: "Delicious dim sum" Crystal Jade Tip by robertgaz

Steamed dumplings
      Deep fried rolls
      Vegetarian fried rice
    by robertgaz

When Wild Orchid was aware that I would be in KL she willingly offered to meet up for lunch to which I readily agreed.

A couple of venues were suggested but no firm arrangement was made other than we meet up for lunch on the 9th July.

On the 7th July Wild Orchid recommended that we meet at the Pavilion which I looked up on my KL map. I wrote back and asked if that was located on the corner of Jalan Raja Chulan and Jalan Bukit Bintang.

But because I was heading to Perth to catch my flight I missed her response to advise me when and where to meet with her contact details. So I left Perth hoping that I had the right Pavilion.

On the 9th July, the day that was already agreed, I took an educated guess at which entrance to the Pavilion Wild Orchid might take. I did already know the building that she works in so his at least gave me an idea of which direction that she would be coming from.

I started waiting at the entrance facing Jalan Raja Chulan and looked around hoping to spot Wild Orchid. I did mention to her previously that unless there were heaps of other tourists around that we shouldn't be too hard to spot in a crowd ;~)

Luckily we were the only caucasian looking people at that entrance so at a few minutes after midday we more or less spotted each other at the same time.

After brief introductions the four of us set off to look for somewhere for lunch. Wild Orchid said that the Crystal Jade Kitchen does a good dim sum so I heartily agreed.

Wild Orchid graciously ordered the food for us saving me the trouble of negotiating the menu. My vegetarian daughter was catered for as was my meat eating son. The food and service was excellent despite a small confusion over the number of water melon juices that were actually ordered

Favorite Dish: Because I was busily chatting away with Wild Orchid over a jasmine tea or two I missed the names of most of the dishes that were ordered. Thankfully, Aunt Agony's recall was right on and remembered every repast.

Clockwise on the first picture from the top - "Har Kao" steamed shrimp dumplings, vegetable dumplings in a translucent covering (only shown partially), "Siew Mai" steamed pork dumplings with fish roe topping and "Char Siew Pow" steamed pork buns.

The scrumptious steamed dumplings were very tasty and the deep fried rolls and morsels were mouthwatering and well prepared.

A huge thank you to Wild Orchid for taking some time out of her busy day to meet up with three small town Aussies in the bewildering urban jungle of KL for a lovely lunch.

Address: 126, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Bukit Bintang,
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Crystal Jade Kitchen - The Pavilion Outlet - Lot 1.17, Level 1, 168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
Phone: +60 3-2142 5118
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

• Updated Sep 9, 2008

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?