VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"From Reykjavík to Borgarnes" Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Things to Do Tip by Redang

Iceland Things to Do: 998 reviews and 2,342 photos

Borgarnes (Iceland)

Borgarnes (Iceland)
      Mount Hafnarfjall (Iceland)
    by Redang

I left Reykjavík driving along road N1 or Ring Road to Mosfellsbær. On the right you will find road #36 to Thingvellir, but I left that Park to the end of the trip, on my way back to Reykjavík.

So, I kept driving along road N1 until a tunnel (on the left) that leads, under the fjord, to Akranes. Once there, turn right, and after some 24 kms., I crossed the 520 m.-long bridge (main pic), on the left, called Borgarfjardarbrú and built in 1.980 to Borgarnes. End of the first day.

Borgarnes is a town of some 1.680 inhabitants. There is a museum of local History, but the city really doesn't offer too much.

I spent the night there, at the Hotel Borgarnes (see the Accommodation Tip of my Borgarnes page), and have a look at the second pic; it is what I saw from the room, mount Hafnarfjall (844 m.).

• Updated Aug 25, 2008

Comments

Redang

“The end of the World?”

Have you been to Iceland?