"London Dungeons" London Dungeon Tip by Dabs

London Dungeons

London Dungeons
      A face more scary than anything at London Dungeons
    by Dabs

After buying my nephew one of the Horrible Histories books on London, London Dungeons became his #1 request of things to go see on our trip. I hadn't been here since my 1st trip in 1988 when it was just a series of rooms showing various torture methods, it's been substanially overhauled since then and the admission price has risen accordingly.

The target audience here is teenagers who will enjoy the cheesiness of the place and it made the teenage girls shriek.

We waited for 30-40 minutes to buy our tickets and then the experience starts, the whole thing took about 90 minutes and you have to follow along with a group of people. I thought the maze with the mirrors at the beginning was the most frightening thing in the place, from there it was a series of actors hamming it up with the patrons and passing on a trivial amount of information about the fire of 1666, Sweeney Todd, the Plague of 1665 and Jack the Ripper. The two amusement style rides were pretty lame, the boat ride to hell was very short and the drop ride to doom mildly entertaining. On the other hand, my sister in law was put on trial for dancing naked on Hampsted Heath and being a witch, there was definitely some entertainment value in that!

When I asked my nephew what he'd rate the place on a scale of 1-10, I think he said 6 or 7 so it certainly wasn't a highlight for him.

Unique Suggestions: Everyone in line seemed to have some kind of discount, some of them from local retailer Woolworth's, ours was one of the 2 for 1 offers in conjunction with getting a 7 day travelcard on paper instead of on an Oyster Card, I've also seen them offered in conjunction with the Oyster Card.

Splurge and get the Fast Pass, at least you won't stand in line for an hour. They were handing out information about the Fast Pass while we were standing in line, I think it was an additional £3 per person. Or go 1st thing in the morning before the queue forms.

Fun Alternatives: You might look into the similarly themed London Bridge Experience across the street if lines are too long, there are also 2 for 1 coupons for that and no lines. The Clink Museum has some of the torture devices on display and is more economically priced but that wasn't one of my favorite attractions in London either.

• Updated Aug 20, 2008

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to London?