"Science Museum" Science Museum Tip by Dabs

Science Museum at the Launch Pad
      Science Museum at the Launch Pad
      Science Museum
    by Dabs

It took 12 trips to London before I made it to the Science Museum and only because my niece and nephew had it on their lists of must sees. Odd really that I had never thought of going because the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago was my favorite when I was a kid, mostly because it had all those buttons you could push and things to play with. Even though science wasn't my favorite subject in school, I would highly recommend this museum especially if you are visiting with kids.

The Launch Pad, a wing filled with interactive activities, was the biggest hit with kids and those of us adults who haven't quite grown up yet. We also enjoyed the Making the Modern World display on the ground floor which showcased household items from the 1750s to present, we had a good laugh at some of the things in the displays that the kids didn't recognize-record players, rotary phones, those clunky first computers, typewriters (dang, I feel old!)

Like most of the excellent museums in London, the Science Museum is free except for special features such as the IMAX.

Address: Exhibition Road, SW7
Directions: South Kensington tube
Phone: 0 870 870 4868
Website: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

• Updated Aug 20, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2015 at 3:39 PM

When I was a child I also used to love the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
    My grandchildren can just about work out what a typewriter is/was, but they were stymied when I tried to explain about carbon paper, and why cc means carbon copy.
    "Cutting edge technology . . ." - Personal Page by Nemorino

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Nov 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM

It was my favorite when I was a kid, I loved the fairy castle and the human heart! I remember typewriters and carbon paper, we all had to take typing in high school, The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog...

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to London?