"Manuel's Food Market" Top 5 Page for this destination Land & People Tip by AlbuqRay

Land & People, Albuquerque: 10 reviews and 17 photos

Manuel\'s Food Market

Manuel\'s Food Market
      Clara
      Posters and Other Stuff
      Walking Mall (Old Arroyo) and Downtown Buildings
    by AlbuqRay
      Manuel\'s from "Southwest Pieta"
    by AlbuqRay

Manuel’s Food Market opened in 1924 and is located at the present-day intersection of Edith Boulevard and Roma Avenue. Manuel lived to be 98 and his daughter, Clara, still runs the market. Adelita's grandmother also lived there in the 1920's. Her wonderful blog about the area tells us that "if you’ve never been in Manuel's, make a point to stop by. It is a virtual history museum of Albuquerque politics – there are political posters and pictures everywhere. Clara and my mother spent the better part of an hour talking about neighbors, the fiestas and school."

When I went to Manuel's in July 2008, Clara showed me pictures, sold me some delicious tamales, and told me about how the walking mall on the south side of the store used to be an arroyo. There are so many things in this market to see, I must go back when I have more time and do some shopping (can't believe I said that; I do know it is against the "guy" code). BTW, I didn't see many (better make that "any") Republican posters and pictures, LOL. It is an outstanding collection of Democrats though!

• Updated Jan 22, 2014

Comments

AlbuqRay Lives Here!

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to Albuquerque?