Mr Gelato: "Ice Cream on Nanjing Road East" Shanghai Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Shanghai Restaurants: 439 reviews and 749 photos

Ice Cream at Mr Gelato, Shanghai
    by SWFC_Fan

Mr Gelato is a small ice cream parlour and sandwich shop on Nanjing Road East. It is located towards the westernmost end of Nanjing Road East, just a few minutes walk from People?s Square. I stopped by for ice cream one afternoon during my visit to Shanghai in May 2008.

Mr Gelato sells a small selection of sandwiches (I noticed chicken, bacon and salad) and a reasonable choice of cakes and gateaux. However, the main reason to visit Mr Gelato is for ice cream!

Choose from dozens of flavours (chocolate, mango, kiwi, strawberry, tiramisu, bubble gum, hazelnut, pistachio, coffee, lemon, black cherry?) and decide whether you want it in a dish or a cone.

I paid 30 Yuan / 2.50 GBP for 3 scoops of ice cream in a dish:

Black Sesame flavour - I?d never even heard of black sesame flavoured ice cream before, let alone tasted it, so I opted for this unusual looking grey/black ice cream. It was a bit gritty (that would be the ground black sesame seeds), but it tasted ok;

Green Tea flavour ? like the black sesame flavour, this was a new one for me but, being a local flavour, I decided I should give it a try. The taste of the ice cream was much stronger than any green tea that I drank in China;

Lemon Sorbet ? having chosen the above two flavours, I decided I should go for a ?safe option? and with it being a hot and sunny day, this refreshing lemon sorbet was the perfect choice.

The ice cream was pretty expensive by Shanghai standards ? 30 Yuan for 3 standard sized scoops isn?t particularly cheap ? but it was very good quality.

There are a few stools and a small table by the window if, like me, you opt to dine in.

An excellent choice of ice cream flavours on Nanjing Road East!

Address: Nanjing Road East
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Located on Nanjing Road East, about 5 minutes walk from People's Square.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Ice Cream

• Written Jul 29, 2008

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Shanghai?