"SHONGOLOLO !" Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana Favorite Tip by DAO

Botswana General: 56 reviews and 68 photos

HUGE !
by DAO

Favorite thing:
Within minutes of arriving in Botswana I was confronted with this terrifying huge man-eating monster. Scared me to death! Then a South Africa guy behind me said ?Shongololo? and braved death to pick it up and put it outside. Actually this is just a very gentle African giant millipede. Absolutely harmelss and kind of cuddly once you get over their size. Shongololo comes from the Zulu and Xhosa word ?ukushonga? which meamns 'to roll up'. Please don?t step on them! Just pick them up genty and place them out of the way.

Just so you can appreciate how big they are. My shoe, which is pictured is a size:
11 USA
45 Europe
10.5 UK
29 Japan

• Updated Dec 22, 2014

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Wow, how big is that guy!

• DAO's Profile Photo
      Oct 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Your boys will love it down here

• jojes's Profile Photo
      Oct 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM

I'm sure they will! I had some doubts at first (Alaska was on top with me), but seeing all this is taking the doubts away !

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM

If it was in China someone would eat it!

• DAO's Profile Photo
      Dec 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM

"Anything that walks, swims, crawls, or flies with its back to heaven is edible."

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Dec 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM

LMAO! Probably. I think they are poisonous though. My grandma always says, "Asians eat anything that moves."

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I have seen millipeds of that size in other places, but even if they are harmless it is nothing you want to have crawling near you.

“???????ds ??o? u??q ???? p?no?s ? ???? ??s ? ?ou ??poq??os ?q o? p??u?? s????? ? '???? ?? ???”

Have you been to Botswana?