Hotel Rioja, Mexico city: "Terrible staff" Mexico City Hotel Tip by lisamandeel

Mexico City Hotels: 198 reviews and 162 photos

The room was OK, although the balcony opened onto a very noisy street and during the night we got terribly mosquito-bitten. We had to leave the balcony open because there is no AC and no fan.
However, that evening the receptionist charged me $5 for an extra guest in the room ( invited my student to stay with us instead of returning home on the subway at night) and didn't give me a receipt. When we returned after dinner, there was a different receptionist who denied any knowledge of my previous payment. In fact, he was very accusatory and unpleasant, wouldn't give me the name of the manager or call the previous receptionist. He wouldn't even give me HIS name, so I could write a complaint to the management. I ended up having to call the tourist police to get his name-- a whole ugly ending to our stay. We left a letter of complaint, which was never addressed and never replied to.
If you go to the Rioja, don't trust ANYBODY. Get a receipt for everything, and don't be afraid to get nasty for your rights.

Address: 5 de Mayo, 45, Centro Historico
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: one block away from El Zocalo
Phone: 5521-2924
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel

• Written Jul 27, 2008

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Mexico City?