Osteria del Circo: "Osteria del Circo" Top 5 Page for this destination Circo Tip by Gypsystravels

Circo, New York City: 1 reviews and 5 photos

Enjoying my Bellini
      Enjoying my Bellini
    by Gypsystravels
      The Circus theme of the restuarant
    by Gypsystravels
      Yummy Frozen Cosmopolitan, monkeys and all...
      Tuna, Salmon and Sea Bass Carpaccio
      The Sea Bass
    by Gypsystravels

It was restaurant week and my girlfriend Miriam and I decided it would be the excellent opportunity to try out a new restuarant for us both while catching up with life.

Miriam did all the research and decided upon this Italian Restaurant. Decorated very tastfully with a circus theme with ribbons and arobatic robots resembling circus animals and acts made for a very interesting night.

We arrived 20 minutes earlier than our reservations and we were asked if we wanted to be seated or enjoy a drink at the bar. They also inquired if we were going to the theatre after dinner. We decided we wanted to be seated early and enjoy our drinks at the table. We did wait about 15 minutes before our drink order was taken even thought at this point the restaurant was not even crowded. After ordering our drinks and our dinner selections we enjoyed our conversation to very low and smooth music which made our experience quite enjoyable.

Our appetizers were served prompty, and our meal about 15 minutes thereafter. The presentation was quite nice.

To top our wonderful experience, we weren't rushed or given the check right after our dishes were cleared...we were allowed to continue enjoying our drinks at out leisure even thought by this time the restuarant was quite crowded.

The only complaint I have and it could have been more of a misunderstanding, the waiter must have been use to huge tips and didn't come back with our change, making his tip a very generous one. At this point we decided not to say anything since the service and meal were quite good.

The restaurant is a great place for an intimate dinner, with friends or alone. I witnessed quite a few people dining alone.

If you fancy dining out doors, they do have outdoor seating.

Favorite Dish: For restaurant week the price fix menu was $35 including appetizer, main meal and dessert. While Miriam decided to stick to the price fix menu (there was an item she wanted to try), I decided to try their Sea Bass.

I had the Mesclun Salad with Shaved Pecorino Cheese and the Mediterranean Sea Bass Baked in a Salt Crust with Grilled Vegetables. For dessert I had this wonderful caffe latte ice cream with some sort of tort (sorry, can't remember the name). I had the Bellini with my meal which was quite delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed the Sea Bass and would say it is one of the best fish meals I have had.

Miriam's meal consisted of Tuna, Salmon and Sea Bass Carpaccio as an appetizer and her main meal was the Grilled Salmon Guazzetto and for dessert she had the Vanilla Panacotta with Strawberry Compote. Her choice of drink was the Frozen Cosmopolitan, which I may add was quite yum!!

Address: 120 West 55th Street
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Between 6th Ave. & 7th Ave.
Phone: 212-265-3636
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian
Website: http://www.osteriadelcirco.com

• Updated Nov 12, 2008

Gypsystravels Lives Here!

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Have you been to New York City?