"Moscow's version of the State Fair?" Moscow Off The Beaten Path Tip by etfromnc

Moscow Off The Beaten Path: 335 reviews and 529 photos

Friendship of Nations Fountain
by etfromnc

Friendship of Nations Fountain
    by etfromnc
  • Moscow's version of the State Fair? - Moscow

Growing up, trips to county fairs were often the highlight of the fall season for my friends and myself. As I got older, I began to collect state fairs, first North Carolina, then later, Arizona, Texas, Alaska, Virginia. Once, I had a goal of attending the state fair in all 50 states. That went by the wayside but on my first trip to Moscow, I had the privilege of a brief visit to what I think may be their equivalent of the state fair site. I never did ascertain whether they actually have expositions such as we used to have but my conversations and research lead me to believe that the All-Russia Exposition Center is a cross between the site for a state agricultural exposition and a world's fair, though I have only been to two of those, in Tennessee and San Antonio.
This center was begun early in 1935 and, after several delays, opened in late 1939. The number of fountains at the center is unbelievable but my favorite is the Friendship of Nations, which I love because of its optimistic name as well as its beauty. Among its 82 permanent exhibition pavilions which contain over 700,000 square meters of exhibition space are many developed by and/or in honor of former Soviet satellite countries, including Armenia (near the top of my list of places where I must go next), Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Siberia. In another series of pavilions, each one is dedicated to a particular field of learning or business, such as Atomic Energy, Space, and Soviet Culture.
There are also a few permanently located rides including a huge ferris wheel which has multi-axis seats.
The total land area of the exhibition center is greater than that of the entire principality of Monaco.
The most convenient way to get there from central Moscow might be to take the subway to the VDNKh stop.

Website: http://www.bcxb.ru

• Updated Jul 22, 2008

Comments

etfromnc

“Too blessed to be stressed”

Have you been to Moscow?