VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Jarema: "Not For Casual Diners!" Krakow Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Krakow Restaurants: 555 reviews and 747 photos

Signage
by johngayton

This really is a classy restaurant and I'm definitely going to eat here again - next time I'll do it justice!

Unfortunately the one and anly time I ate here was after having arranged to meet EllenH (and Joe and Robyn) for the evening but I'd forgotten that we'd arranged to go out and eat. Yep, that's me - no point in expecting me to remember details such as what we're going to do tomorrow when we discuss them at 2 am!

Ach, I was impressed with this restaurant and impressed too by its menu of Polish and other Eastern European specialities. Jarema is quite a formal restaurant , intimate and definitely not set up for casual dining. Unfortunately when we visited it we were looking for something less formal and yes we found the service a little "stuffy" but the food was excellent.

Favorite Dish: Personally I only had a bowl of the Red Borsch with Meat Dumplings which was excellent, well-flavoured and obviously made with a proper stock with tasty pierogi-style dumplings. Joe and Ellen shared a substantial smoked salmon salad which was interestingly garnished with quails eggs topped with caviar (though the lettuce was a bit naff) and Robyn had a special order of fried potato cakes. Everything was tasty and well-presented.

Perhaps not the cheapest place in town but certainly one of the most authentic.

Address: 5 Plac Matejki
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On the square beside the statue of Wladyslaw Jagiello, which is across the road from the Barbican and Florian Gate.
Phone: 429 3669
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.jarema.pl

• Updated Jul 21, 2008

Comments

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Krakow?