"ETHIOPIAN FOOD TIP: KITFO" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Local Custom Tip by DAO
Africa Local Customs: 97 reviews and 215 photos
For some reason many visitors to Ethiopia want to try this dish as soon as they can. Kitfo (or Ketfo) is raw beef. That?s how it's served. I find this heavy on the stomach and have never had a very good dish in a restaurant. One of my friends made it at home for me and I did find it very tasty. Essentially Kitfo is minced beef marinated in butter with spicy chilli powder and other herbs & spices. It is eaten with injera (a flat spongy sharp tasting bread you use to scoop up food with your hand). My host poured melted butter on top, but that?s as close to heating the dish up as you are going to get.
If you still want to try this dish do 2 things. Go to a top quality restaurant and order ?Marhabaroui?. That is a little of everything. Specify that you want Kitfo as one of the portions. Enjoy
Please note: You can get ?Special Kitfo? which is deep fried (last picture). I find that kills the taste.
More Local Customs in Africa (31)
More Reviews (395)
- See All Don?t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All RETURN GLASS BOTTLES
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL ? THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels