"Can we have our Skylon back please ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Architectural Tip by sourbugger
Architectural, London: 134 reviews and 258 photos
Favorite thing: In July 2008, there was a bit of a press splash about an idea to re-create the 'Skylon'.
The 'Skylon' was an impressive piece of public art, and was probably the most talked about feature of the 1951 festival of Britain. It was only standing (if that is wthe right word) for a year because of fears that it might collapse and / or be struck by lightening.
The long (300 foot) elegant object was designed in such a way that it seemed to float, vertically, over the south bank of the Thames. A design for the 21st century would look the same, but new technology means it might last 60-100 years.
I really hope that the idea comes off. I hope even more that thgey place it nect to the London eye (the giant wheel) so people like me can make a few off-colour smutty jokes about the two together.
More Favorites in London (19)
More Reviews (268)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Hampton court 1 : that famous maze.
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels