"Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island." Prefecture of Cefalonia Things to Do Tip by JLBG

Prefecture of Cefalonia Things to Do: 82 reviews and 122 photos

Eastern coast of Cefalonia
by JLBG

The name of Cefalonia means "the head" because of its shape, looking like the head of a goat. Cefalonia (in Greek Kefallinia) is the largest of the Ionian Islands. It is also the most mountainous. The summit of the island is Mount Ainos, elevation 1626 m. That might not seem very high, but you must consider that it is only 3.5 km away from the sea, as the crow flies! That is pretty steep!

Most ferries land at Sami, on the east coast, but the capital is Argostoli, standing on the west coast. There is always one of the ferries named Ayos Hierasimos as it is the name of the Saint patron of the island.

I visited Cefalonia several times, both by land, with our Land-Rover and by boat on a small sailing boat. By land, I visited the whole island, from north to south and from east to west. When that was on the occasion of self-steered cruises, we remained on the east coast. Our boats were too small to cruise safely on the west coast.

For more, see my Cefalonia Island page

• Written Jul 14, 2008

Comments

JLBG

Have you been to Prefecture of Cefalonia?