"Men in Turkey" Bodrum Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Delilah123

Bodrum Warnings and Dangers: 16 reviews and 4 photos

Yes, the touts can be a problem, but I've found if you are firm with them, and don't smile, they don't persist. And as far as "groping" is concerned, that has never happened to me in Turkey, though certainly men have tried to get acquainted with me. The first rule is to dress appropriately--forget the shorts and tight t-shirts. The second rule is not to act silly and flirty--you will get what you ask for. The third rule is to act like a lady--which is really another version of the second rule. And the last rule is that--if it is necessary--invent a Turkish boyfriend or husband. If a man comes up to me on the street in Turkey and is trying a bit to hard to get acquainted, I just say "My husband is Turkish, and if he sees you trying to talk to me, he will probably kill you." This works every time; the fellow vanishes quickly. Overall, though, I've found the Turks charming, helpful, and generally delightful. They've helped me when I've needed help, even unasked, and I've never bought anything I didn't want to buy. Just remember, you will get what you appear to be asking for--at least in their culture.

• Written Jul 12, 2008

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Bodrum?