Yonghe King: "Chinese fast food...and soybean milk!" Shanghai Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Shanghai Restaurants: 439 reviews and 749 photos

Inside Yonghe King, Shanghai
      Meal #2 and soybean milk at Yonghe King
      Menu at Yonghe King, Shanghai
    by SWFC_Fan

I ate at Yonghe King one lunchtime during a visit to Shanghai in May 2008.

There are numerous branches of this Chinese fast food chain in Shanghai ? I visited the branch on the corner of Nanyang Road and Xikang Road, between Nanjing Road West and West Beijing Road, about 5-10 minutes walk from the Nanjing Road West metro station.

The sign on the front of the restaurant was in Mandarin, as were all the menus and posters on display in the windows. I only established the name of the restaurant thanks to a small ?Yonghe King? logo on the bottom corner of the menus.

I entered the restaurant and there was a similar lack of English translations. The menus were exclusively in Mandarin and the waitress spoke no English. Great, this was exactly the kind of place I was looking for! I was determined to eat in at least one restaurant that didn?t make concessions for foreign tourists, and this place was to be it.

Behind the counter, menu boards displayed a dozen or so numbered dishes, each accompanied by a little picture and a description in Mandarin. The pictures were not large enough or clear enough to ascertain what each meal contained, but each was a similar combination of soup, rice or noodles, chicken, pork or beef, with various sauces and green vegetable leaves.

After a few minutes scrutinising the various options and realising that I might as well pick a random number, I decided to opt for:

Meal #2 - Cost: 16 Yuan / 1.20 GBP

- a bowl of thin clear soup containing pieces of pork (about a dozen pieces, which resembled sliced, skinless sausage meat), green chillies, celery and other green vegetables. The soup was piping hot and much tastier than its watery appearance suggested.
- a main dish consisting of pieces of chicken in a hot chilli sauce, with rice, red peppers, a fried egg and lots of green vegetable leaves. It was nothing special, but it was tasty enough, good quality and served hot. I realised how difficult it is to eat a fried egg with a pair of chopsticks!

Soybean Milk - Cost: 4 Yuan / 0.30 GBP

I actually ordered Coca Cola, or so I thought I had! Given the language barrier, I was neither surprised nor disappointed when a glass of white liquid appeared at my table. It looked like milk, but it didn?t taste quite like milk. In fact, it tasted like a watered down version of milk. I didn?t really know what it was, but it was ice cold and refreshing so I drank it. Having researched Yonghe King online during the course of writing this tip, I have learnt that the chain is famous for its soybean milk products, so I think it is a good bet that that is what I was drinking with my meal!

A popular Chinese fast food chain. My meal was pretty good considering it cost only 20 Yuan in total?and that I ordered blind!

Address: Various branches in Shanghai
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: I ate at the branch which is located on the corner of Nanyang Road and Xikang Road, close to Nanjing Road West.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Fast Food
Website: http://www.yonghe.com.cn/

• Written Jul 12, 2008

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Shanghai?