Yang's Fry Dumplings: "Tasty shengjian dumplings on Wujiang Road" Shanghai Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Shanghai Restaurants: 439 reviews and 749 photos

Shengjian dumplings from Yang's Fry Dumplings
    by SWFC_Fan

I ate at Yang?s Fry Dumplings one evening during a visit to Shanghai in May 2008.

This popular little restaurant has two outlets practically next door to each other on the bustling food street of Wujiang Road. Whenever I passed by late in the afternoon or early in the evening there were dozens of people queueing to be served, as well as a handful of tables inside that were always occupied. I took this to be a good sign and so, late one evening, when there was no queue, I stopped by for a late night snack.

I had seen dozens of people ordering the local speciality dumplings (known as ?shengjian?) and carrying them away in boxes or carrier bags. I had seen the dumplings being produced and cooked just inside the restaurant in full view of the customers, and they looked very tempting!

There was no English menu and the lady at the counter spoke no English. I didn?t know if there were different types of dumplings available, or if they just produced one standard type. I pointed at a large frying pan full of dumplings, smiled and held up 3 fingers to indicate the number of dumplings that I wanted. The lady held up 4 fingers, and I assumed that she was telling me that they were priced at 4 Yuan each, so I smiled again and nodded.

As my dumplings were being loaded into polystyrene containers and then into a carrier bag it became obvious that the language barrier had led to me buying far more dumplings than I required! The price of 4 Yuan was not for a single dumpling, but for a PORTION of dumplings. The 12 Yuan (1 GBP) that I handed over thus bought me not 3 dumplings, but 3 portions of 4 dumplings ? ie 12 dumplings!

I took my dumplings away and began to devour them. Upon biting into the first dumpling, my hand was covered in a large splash of hot liquid. Unbeknown to me, Shanghai?s famous dumplings are filled not only with minced pork but also with gelatine which melts down into a tasty broth once cooked. I learned from my mistake and was more careful on eating the next one. The dumplings were very well cooked, served piping hot and topped with sesame seeds and green chillies. Although they were very tasty, 12 dumplings were far too many after I?d already had an evening meal, so a fair few of them remained uneaten.

You can read an interesting account of Yang's Fry Dumplings HERE

Yang?s Fry Dumplings is a great place to try Shanghai?s local speciality shengjian dumplings! This place is almost always busy, but it?s well worth joining the queue of hungry customers! Recommended!

Address: 54 Wujiang Road
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Located on Wujiang Road, just off Nanjing Road West, about 10-15 minutes walk from People's Square.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Written Jul 12, 2008

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Shanghai?