"Lean back and watch castle galore pass by" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Germany Things to Do: 1,233 reviews and 1,985 photos

Ehrenfels Castle (near Bingen)
by Trekki
      Ehrenfels Castle (near Bingen)
      Rheinstein Castle
      Maus Castle
      Gutenfels Castle
      Pfalz bei Kaub - Pfalzgrafenstein
    by Trekki

I am much ashamed about my own arrogance for having judged a trip like this to be bourgeois, trashy and for stone aged retired people only. Now, since 2008, I know better or should classify me as bourgeois, trashy and stone aged (haha).
This July (2008) I did overcome my ancient prejudices and took a boat trip along the Rhine Gorge. It was meant as a sightseeing tour with my colleague from Brazil, but already as we stepped on the boat it turned out to be a real pleasure. And when I got back home I felt as if I had spend an extra day of holiday. I did drive along this part of Germany in October 2006 with Joan and her husband (she wrote about our tour on her Marksburg Castle page), but now I know that sightseeing on the boat is a much better and relaxing way to see this magical part of Germany. Somehow on this trip I also realised why UNESCO is protecting so many parts of the world by listing them as world heritage. This Rhine Gorge is indeed heritage!!

There are countless options of boat/cruising companies as well as stops as of where to get on or off the boat. We took KD line (see transport tip) from Bingen to Boppard and back. This did cost 20 ? per person (round trip) and is maybe even a transport alternative to the train (the comparable train trip costs 16,20 ?). And it is definitely a magnificent way to visit this Rhine Gorge, because:
· no traffic jams (which are almost always to anticipate, as the road left and right hand side is single lanes per direction only),
· no driving = no sitting at the steering wheel and concentrate on the road, but being actually able to do a relaxing sightseeing,
· full view on the castles on both sides AND photo opportunities whenever you wish (Joan will agree that it is most difficult to stop for photos on the road, as there are hardly any parking possibilities between the villages).

On a river cruise from Bingen to Boppard, no less than 15 castles and fortresses left and right hand side of the river can be admired in full view, plus a castle on an island (Pfalzgrafenstein or Pfalz bei Kaub) and one tower on an island (Mouse Tower or Mäuseturm) and of course the famous Loreley cliff. And of course every boat crew will start playing the famous Loreley song when the cliff is approached.

During the boat trip, you can get off at each of the villages, but make sure to know when the next or last boat leaves! We took the boat at 10:30 from Bingen and had only one stop possibility (we did choose Boppard), as otherwise we would not be able to get back (except by train of course) and arrived back in Bingen at 20.00. The earlier boat leaves at 9:15, which I highly recommend to take!
Take in mind that the boat trip back takes longer as it is upstream! The distance between Bingen and Boppars takes 2,5 hours downstream but upstream 4 hours.

© Ingrid D., date July 2008.

Address: Upper Rhine Valley
Website: http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php?id=318&L=3

• Updated Sep 21, 2013

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Germany?