"GOOD BASE FROM THE SNOWFIELDS" Rydges Capital Hill Canberra Tip by AusPinay

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, Canberra: 926 reviews and 4 photos

room service was fast at Rydges Capital Hill

room service was fast at Rydges Capital Hill
    by AusPinay
      Food was good, a few items were cold
    by AusPinay
      spa is nice and clean(and free to hotel patrons)
    by AusPinay
      beds were clean and comfy
    by AusPinay

Our check-in at this hotel was quite pleasant and quick. I joined its Priority Guests Program via its website and automatically got
entitled to an express check-in and free welcome drink, which I forgot to get. Other benefits include 20 % discount on food and beverage, including room service.

I must also commend the Kiwi hotel staff who handled our check-in, he was most friendly and accommodating, a clear contrast to our check-out experience the next day!

Our family room was clean, the beds were really comfy and the white quilts were soft and look really new and freshly made. The pillows, also in white were in crisp cases but were still firm enough to use unlike some pillows where you hardly get any support at all!

Room service was great, quick and came within 30 minutes as promised. My only complaint was the cold steak I ordered for my son but which I ended up eating. The dessert, apple crumble with rhubarb compote and vanilla ice cream was superb and yummy!

Unique Qualities: Room service was great, though some food items arrived a bit cold already like the steak and potatoes.

They alsochave kids' menu which made my pizza loving boys happy indeed!

The express check-in for priority guests is a good feature - refreshing after a day of touring/walking, exploring.

They also have a good deal for families of overnight stay, buffet breakfast and tickets to Questacon which you don't necessarily have to go to in case time is limited for you. I found out they science museum tickets expire in April 2009 so we have good excuse to return and gave us more time for snow fun, which was a good 2.5 hours from our base in Canberra. The $269 deal for a family of four also included free use of the indoor heated lap pool, spa and gym.

It is also near to most amenities though we did not have enough time to go out exploring after checking in late afternoon. However, we've stayed here in the past and the rooms have been improved.

My other concern is at check out when a young lady manning the reception desk seemed inefficient- I had to remind her I got discounts for our food, also she gave the wrong directions going to the snowfields.To add, she hardly smiled at all, on a Sunday morning! Hubby said who would be for someone working on a Sunday! Then she had no right being there if she was grumpy about Sunday work, LOL!.

( Turned out, the route suggested had roads closed for the season, you'd think they would know that before hand!) So much for inexperienced hotel staff.

We had previously known a better ,more popular and safer route which we had taken quite a few times in the past too!

Address: Cnr Canberra Avenue & National Circuit, Canberra,
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: From the Federal Highway, take Northbourne Avenue going to PArliament House and look for Sydney Avenue which will take you to NAtional Circuit or Canberra Ave.
Phone: 61-2-62953144
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://rydges.com

• Updated Jul 6, 2008

Comments

AusPinay Visits Here Frequently!

AusPinay

“LIVE,LAUGH, LOVE! ”

Have you been to Canberra?