"Day 6 - Kandovan" Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Things to Do Tip by suvanki

Iran Things to Do: 229 reviews and 587 photos

Kandovan 'cave houses'
by suvanki
      Kandovan 'cave houses'
    by suvanki
  • Day 6 - Kandovan - Iran
  • Day 6 - Kandovan - Iran

Kandovan was a village that I'd been looking forward to visiting. Also known as Chandovan, this is Irans' Capadoccia - an area of Turkey, that I'd really enjoyed visiting. I'd spent quite a while there during my travels in the early 1990s, and it had some very special memories for me. So I was pleased that this was included in my itinerary.

In some ways its layout reminded me of Masuleh, which I'd visited a few days ago. Sitting at the base of a mountain (Mt. Sahandkuh -3707m) A river at the foot of the village, and houses huddled in layers with narrow paths between. One difference being that most of these houses were carved from the volcanic rock, instead of wood and mud.

Our visit was spent scrambling along and up the narrow paths that led to houses carved into the soft rock. Some houses are open for viewing. Typically the ground floor is where the animals are stabled, the living quarters are a cool room, with small alcoves at the edge of the room, which may be used for preparing and cooking food. Another house we came across sold handicrafts including woven rugs.

Sitting outside one of the houses was an elderly man who was singing, I thought he was holding an instrument, but it turned out to be a wooden stick.

Across the river are some attractive tea gardens and restaurants, with the typical raised platforms.

While Majid went to order our food I was approached by a couple of chador clad women, who came to find out where I was from, and to practice their english, others joined them. There was much giggling from them as they urged each other on . After they'd ran out of questions Majid returned, and they continued to question him. Apparently this group were from Tabriz and regularly left their husbands at home, while they travelled to different places. I think they were retired.

I enjoyed a frozen pomegranite beer, and kebabs, while other travellers and a group from Tehran University came to chat to us.

Kandovan had a nice atmosphere, but I should imagine that it could be quite crowded on Fridays and on Holidays.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jul 5, 2008

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Iran?