Grand Ballroom Hilton Hotel, Sydney: "BALL w/ Village People Music & Line Dancing?" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Nightlife Tip by AusPinay

Australia and Oceania Nightlife: 12 reviews and 9 photos

Recto the honoured guest, loved hisspeech!
by AusPinay

Recto the honoured guest, loved hisspeech!
    by AusPinay
      The stage, graced by government dignitaries
    by AusPinay
      with my hubby whom I forced to escort me there
    by AusPinay

I attended the 110th Independence Day celebrations along with more than 450 Filipino Australians and mixed crowd of fellow Aussies amidst live music courtesy of a talented Filipino band.

Ball with lively Village People music and line dancing (to the tune of Achy Breaky Heart to beat)? At the Hilton's Grand Ballroom! Unbelievable but true, only PINOYS can lay claim to this!

Seriously, service was notably really five star in this Hilton venue! I was pleasantly surprised the waiters/waitresses were well trained and very polite not to mention on hand always to cater to our needs despite the big number of people there!

Food was not much to rave about- only the freshly baked bread rolls were worthy of my praise! The entree was just one kind, salmon which I am allergic to but as I told one of the waiters, I was offered some vegetarian concoction- I tasted eggplants, zucchini perhaps, plus other vegies mixed on what seemed like a pasty comfit surrounded by fresh salad leaves. It was edible but unappealling!

The affair was vigorously organised and promoted by the PCC-NSW Org.

There's always some fun and important happenings here at the Grand Ballroom!

The mains, a choice of chicken or pork chop were average for a hotel like the Hilton. The $110 we paid seemed to be not worth the food but it is a fundraising as well so I shall let that pass! Knowing my fellow "bargain hunting" Pinoys, they probably paid a pittance for the food anyway,LOL!

The celebrations saw a big number of government representatives of PM Kevin Rudd and Premier Morris Iemma, including of course the Philippine Ambassador and Consul General in Sydney of the Philippines. Local politicians were also there to share the momentous occasion with the expatriates from my beloved country of birth. The guest of honour was ex Phil. senator Ralph Recto, in lieu of his wife actress/politician Vilma Santos. Personally I didn't mind much as Ralph gave an intelligent speech which fouced on the night's theme - Education for the youth, which is something to close to my heart as a former teacher/science journalist.

Dress Code: It was a formal affair, with most people wearing the traditional barong tagalog for the men and some native Philippine long dresses with exquisitely hand embroidered panuelos (coverings for the women) worn by a few.

Many like me stuck to the classic black formal/cocktail dresses which were alright, we were not honoured guests after all, just mere "miron" (audience)! Of course you could not fault some for trying too hard and showed off all the heirlooms they have amassed all those years of slaving away day by day -jewelries-gold and silver, diamond, cubic zirconium and other coloured stones all mixed together like halo-halo (sweet iced desert Pinoy style)!

Well, they can always claim that's how ethnic jewelry is supposed to look like!

Moreover, I was appalled to see quite a few ladies in cowboy boots! They were probably dressed for the line dancing much later that night !

What's a Pinoy Ball without Achy Breaky Heart and YMCA enthusiastically danced too by Barong wearing Batanguenos and Ilocanos? It was a sight to behold, I got to my feet and shamelessly copied the very gay looking Pinoy who seemed to revel in his new found popularity ala John Travolta in Barong!

Address: George St, Sydney City, NSW
Directions: It is at the city centre near all the shopping and sights!
Theme: Eating and Drinking

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

More Nightlife in Australia and Oceania (1)

Comments

AusPinay Used To Live Here!

AusPinay

“LIVE,LAUGH, LOVE! (visit my website, AUSINFORMER.COM)”

Have you been to Australia and Oceania?