"I tried it! and would stay again No Problems!" Congress Plaza Hotel Tip by alan456

Congress Plaza Hotel, Chicago: 2,433 reviews and 14 photos

My problem. Late booking to a convention at the Hyatt and all rooms for anything less than $500 a nite totally sold out. I read all the negative reviews but I had no choice. so I took a shot. The lobby is just as pictured - grand old Chicago - The halls were kind of grungy but the room was a clean well lited place fully, newly tiled bathroom. All the plumbing worked - air conditioner worked fine. Not a huge room but big enough for 2 full sized beds. And I was on the top floor lakeside view - magnificent right at Buckingham fountain. Now I think the following may have contributed to the success - I booked for 2 nights. I booked 4 days in advance and I reconfirmed a late check-in the day before my arrival. I was nice to everybody on the phone - they were nice to me - check in lady same way. AND I booked the reservation through american airlines - by doing this, I may not have scalped the last dollar out of the price - I probably overpaid what priceline would have charged by 20.00 a nite. BUT at $238 I had the best room in Chicago that $238.00 would buy I assure you. Yes there was a strike - better said, there were some "strikers" casually walking in front of the building near the street. I was not hassled in any way by the strikers and in the evening when I came back they were gone. - There may be some bum rooms in this place but I would return. alan456

Address: 520 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: right on Michigan avenue across from Buckingham Fountain. The X3 bus (2.00) right across the street takes you to the center of town in 5 minutes or you can walk it in 20
Phone: +1 312-427-3800
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.congressplazahotel.com

• Written Jun 27, 2008

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Chicago?