"Day 4 Shabil - Camping and PALS Butterfly pics!" Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Things to Do Tip by suvanki

Iran Things to Do: 229 reviews and 587 photos

PALS butterfly and Mount Sabalan
      PALS butterfly and Mount Sabalan
      Our Camp with PALS Butterfly picture
      Sun setting on Mount Sabalan
      Majid and camp fire
    by suvanki

Refreshed, but now a bit chilled from my bathing - Majid had a bowl of warming soup ready for me at a nearby shack. The white coloured broth was Ash Dugh - yogurt soup- yogurt, water, dill? and beans, which we ate with flat bread. Dugh is the yogurt and water drink flavoured with mint, that I'd first tried in Tehran -(which felt like a lifetime away from here). I wolfed it down!

We then collected the tents from the car. I wasn't sure where we were going to camp, but followed Majid across a small bridge over the river, over some rocks, then we stopped after a few metres at the side of the river. Majid said it was a good spot, but the river might be noisy! I was ok with this.

While he set about erecting our tents, I enjoyed the sight of Mount Sabalan in front of me, as the sun set. I also took some photos, including some with U.S. VTer PALS (Fred Siwak) beautiful butterfly pictures in the forefront. ( I got some cute shots later in my trip with the children of the Bakhtiari nomads)

For anyone who hasn't come across PALS page I'd advise you to drop by.

Fred has Motor Neurone disease, or ALS, (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), also known as Lou Gehrig?s disease in the United States, and so he now isn't able to travel away from his home.

However, he is the ultimate Virtual Tourist! - He produces some beautiful pieces of art (with difficulty) which he would like to see photographed all over the world, in places that people live or travel to.
You then send these photos to Fred, and he'll build his pages. He has 83 countries covered so far! From Poland eastwards his map is a bit sparce! Also America, Africa, Middle East. Check his map and see if you can help turn it completely blue!

If you're planning a trip anywhere in the near future, or can take some pics of your home town, Fred might well achieve his ambition!

The tents were soon up, so next task - build a camp fire! There were plenty of rocks, which we placed in a circle, then placed the wood that we'd collected earlier, the charcoal pieces, with some twigs and pieces of string that I'd found, plus some screwed up pieces of paper inside .
It didn't take long before we had a roaring fire! Which I was pleased of, as the sun had finally disappeared and so it was getting a bit chilly.

Majid set about gutting the fish, and threading them onto the skewers we'd bought earlier, with the tomatoes, then salting them. Back at the market, I'd thought he was intending making fish kebabs, with pieces of fish, onion and tomatoes. Instead we were to have whole fish grilled - We'd bought 16 fishes!

• Updated Jan 3, 2009

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Iran?