"The Grand Palace" Grand Palace Tip by nattybabe

Grand Palace, Bangkok: 313 reviews and 618 photos

The Grand Palace is a must see while in Bangkok. Entry is 200 Baht and you are able to just wonder around yourself but I felt like being slightly ripped off by hiring my own personal guide. This cost me a fortune and I tried to bargain her down but she insisited that her price was the same regardless of how many people she was guiding. I figured oh well, at least I'll get a private tour! I have to admit that the guide was very good. She grabbed my hand and dragged me through the crowds to semi quiet spots before explaining the particular building we were at and then getting in front of the crowds when we actually entered the buildings. I would have been left behind on my own and also not learnt nearly as much about the history of the palace and the significance of the temples.

The opening hours for the palace are: 9.30am - 3.15pm
Tickets sold until 3pm
Traditional Thai Dance Shows at: 10.30am and 2pm.

History:
The Grand Palace was established in 1782 and it housed the royal residences, throne halls, government offices as well as the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. It covers an area of 218,000 square metres and is 1900 metres in length. It was built after King Rama I's assention to the throne as the Palace had previously been located in Thonburi (then the capital of Thailand). King Rama I moved the capital to Bangkok and built the Grand Palace as his residence and government offices.

Address: Maharaj Pier, Chao Phraya, Bangkok
Directions: next to Wat Phra Kaeo Temple Complex
Phone: 02-224-1833
Website: http://www.discoverthailand.com/

• Written Jun 24, 2008

Comments

Have you been to Bangkok?