"Snorkel Molokini" Maui Things to Do Tip by iammon

Maui Things to Do: 486 reviews and 992 photos

Crater on way in
by iammon

You should not miss out on a beautiful day out at sea snorkeling Molokini. It is a nice bustling reef nestled inside an ancient volcanic crater (largely submerged). It is a marine preserve (they say that there are more than 250 species of fish) and one of Hawaii's most popular snorkel/dive sites. It is therefore a bit crowded but I would not want to have missed it as we had a great day out on the ocean. It is a good spot for snorkeling beginners as well. I recommend combining it with a trip to Lana'i as a second snorkeling spot. Sightings of spinners dolphins are guaranteed then. Or even whales between end of November to mid May. We did the trip with the Pacific whale foundation, Eco adventures. They cruise with Eco-friendly catamarans and have the best staff I ever met on such a tour! How Eco-friendly they are in comparison with others (only recognized the biodegradable cups and plates) I can not really tell. But I can really recommend them for a fun and relaxing day!

Address: Harbor Shops at Ma'alaea, Rt 30
Directions: They start the tours in the harbour of Ma'alaea Bay where the Maui Ocean Center is located. Big parking lot available. We paid $88.- a person and it included a tropical-style breakfast, BBQ lunch and drinks.
othercontact: Store in Lahaina, 612 Front Stre
Phone: 808 2498811
Website: http://www.pacificwhale.org

• Updated Jun 18, 2008

Comments

iammon

“Spirit of adventure - the best travel guide!”

Have you been to Maui?