"Nellie the elephant packed her trunk..." Karlsruhe Things to Do Tip by sourbugger

Karlsruhe Things to Do: 263 reviews and 569 photos

and said good bye to the circus. But she ended up in a zoo being gawped at by visitors.

Whatever the moral arguments about keeping animals in captivity, I can only applaud the very impressive Karlsruhe zoo.

Although not the largest of zoos, and constricted by its city-centre location (right opposite the train station), the collection boasts an impressive array of the usual suspects.

The polar bear enclosure is especially popular, and the zoo has had some breeding success in this area. Lions, penguins, elephants, camel, giraffes and gorillas all feature, although I didn't see any tigers. And I always want to see a tiger - it just isn't a proper zoo without one.

Karlsruhe zoo has a number of very unsual features. To begin with, the centre of the zoo is a small hill, which can be ascended for great view out over the city. It also features a 'gondola' ride, whereby small boats follow a fixed track through the beautifully finished parkland areas. As it was boiling hot when I visited, I didn't want to risk sunburn to my children, but it sure looked very chilled out and relaxing. Another rather 'odd' feature is a bridge that runs over the length of the park connecting the Train station area with the conference centre area. This is thus accessible from the outside, and passes right by the elephant enclosure.

With a ridiculously low (and I applaud this) entry price of 5 euro 50 cent, I feel that this is a wonderful resource for the city - locals must visit time and time again. In Britain you would end up paying that amout for the excellent ajoining adventure playground (see serrate tip) by itself.

My son's abiding memory of the day ? "Daddy, I saw a lion having a poo !" - that line made it all worth it !

• Written Jun 17, 2008

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Have you been to Karlsruhe?