"Tirana's only hostel?" Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana Backpacker Hostel Tip by maykal

Tirana Backpacker Hostel, Tirana: 29 reviews and 9 photos

As far as I know, this is the only hostel in Tirana. It is housed in an old villa within a garden, about five or ten minutes' walk from Skenderbeg Square.

As you'd expect from a hostel, facilities are quite basic...dorm rooms with 6+ bunk beds, shared bathrooms, etc...but like the other hostels I stayed in on my trip (Sofia, Skopje, Prishtina), Tirana Backpackers was incredibly laid back, and not at all like those sterile official Youth Hostels with their curfews, rules and silent breakfasts.

I stayed three nights here in April, and it was not exactly busy...the room was never full, and none of the other guests stayed more than one night. Even when I rush, I end up being slower than everyone else! That said, it must be busier in the summer months, so you could try booking a bed through one of the hostelworld type websites.

Unique Qualities: In fact it was so laid back, it took me ages to find someone to check me in as the owners were all fast asleep!

The old house has several balconies with chairs, which are good places to sit and eat the byrek me gjize (cheese pastry) you bought at the bakery opposite.

In the garden, watch out for the dog...

They advertise internet, although I didnt use it, and there is also supposed to be a cinema in the basement too...again, I missed any films that were showing.

Address: Rruga Elbasanit 85
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Head south from Skenderbeg Sq, cross the river and go past the Pyramid-like building. Turn left into Rruga Ismail Qemali (between ministry and hotel) and when that road hits Elbasanit (busy road), you'll see the hostel opposite.
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Have you been to Tirana?