"Day 3 Masuleh" Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Things to Do Tip by suvanki

Iran Things to Do: 229 reviews and 587 photos

Masuleh

Masuleh
      Masuleh - Mosque
      Masuleh - Mosque
      Masuleh Mosque gravestones
      Masuleh Martyrs graveyard
    by suvanki

The road to Masuleh ended at a car park! This was the only road in and out of the village.
Majid parked his car, and we set off to explore this ancient village, where one houses roof is its above neighbours terrace.

Majid explained that we were going to go up a different route than most visitors walk to reach the village.

We climbed up some steps, passing houses and terraces. After a short while, we came to a mosque. There were some men inside praying, so we just viewed it from the outside. Walking past the Mosque, I recognised some Martyrs graves- identified by the Iranian flags at the bottom of each tomb.
In the walls at the side of the mosque, and on the footpath, were gravestones.

We continued on, arriving at a handicrafts shop. The friendly woman owner tried to get me to try on the traditional costumes on display - but I was a bit 'over heated' from the climb, so I declined. I did buy some knitted slippers from her, and promised to post on the photos I'd taken of her. Next stop was to buy some halva for Majids fiancee. I got the chance to try a few of the different flavours.

Despite these samplings, I was pleased that our next stop was a restaurant. After our kebabs and flat bread, I had the chance to do something that I'd been wanting to try for many years- smoking the qalyan (nargille, hubba bubba etc). Apparently this practice was prohibited in 2004, with many restaurants offering qalyans, being closed down.

If my guide hadn't told me that it was 'illegal' I wouldn't have known, because during my trip, I came across many people openly enjoying the qalyan.

• Updated Sep 27, 2008

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Iran?