"Day 3 Anzali to Masuleh - Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Things to Do Tip by suvanki

Iran Things to Do: 229 reviews and 587 photos

Mud, wood and straw houses
      Mud, wood and straw houses
      Mud, wood and straw House
    by suvanki
      Wood, mud and straw Close up
      Village shop
      Bee Hives
    by suvanki

Leaving the rice paddies behind, we continued on our journey, towards Masuleh. From the car I'd spotted a small river running alongside the road. We pulled up, and could see a few houses across the river. We had a short walk, looking at the buildings, which were coated with mud.

They appeared to have been constructed from tree trunks, laid horizontally, with mud and straw packed in between the trunks, then the outer wall was coated with mud. (pics 1, 2 and 3)

Around the buildings, a few chickens and baby chicks were seen to be scratching for food.

At the side of the river, were quite a few colourful bee hives (pic 5). Although we didn't see anyone here, there was the smell of charcoal burning, and cooking smells drifting in the air.

Near to the roadside was a shop, (pic 4) we thought it was closed, but after a few minutes, a woman appeared and opened the door. We bought chilled cans of lemon beer (out of date, but ok!) from her.

While I was standing outside the shop, a teenage girl had appeared with a toddler dressed in a red romper suit, and a red pom pom hat, who she walked backwards and forwards, without acknowledging our presence. I had the feeling she was a bit afraid of us.

We drank our non alcoholic beers, and returned to the car to continue to Masuleh.

Prior to my trip VTer Bashir-1 had sent me photos of Masuleh from his visit, so I was pleased to see this was on my itinarary- I was looking forward to visiting this place.

• Updated Jun 20, 2008

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Iran?