"The Whole Enchilada" Moss Landing Restaurant Tip by Ewingjr98

Moss Landing Restaurants: 4 reviews and 15 photos

I have been hearing great things about the Whole Enchilada for quite sometime, so on a recent trip to Elkhorn Slough, we decided to stop here to fuel up before our walk. I knew exactly where the restaurant was located, because we often stop just across the street to watch the otters play in the marina.

Upon entering the courtyard and patio areas, we were made comfortable by the fountains, lush vegetation, and unique signs and sculptures. Amazing to thing we were just feet from busy Highway 1, yet so secluded. Inside the restaurant we first saw the little bar, and the dazzling bold, bright colors found throughout Latin America. We were immediately seated by a window with a view of Highway 1 and the Moss Landing power plant over the artichoke plants growing in the flower bed.

The menu is big, with a great variety of traditional Mexican dishes alongside local creations. Mexican seafood dishes are always good in California, so I decided on the seafood enchiladas and Laura chose the Mariscos Chimichanga. The meals came out within 10 minutes of us ordering, and were very impressive. The seafood enchiladas ($17) included one shrimp enchilada and one crab enchilada, topped with a pasilla chile salsa and cheese and served with rice, beans and salsa fresca. Laura's Mariscos Chimichanga ($20) had fluffy fried flour tortillas stuffed with a seafood mixture of snow crabmeat, shrimp, white fish, jack and cheddar cheese, served crispy, and also served with rice, beans, and salsa fresca. Both meals were garnished with an olive, lemon slices, parsley, and cheese and chips in the beans, making for a perfect presentation. The food was outstanding--a great mix of flavors that left me scraping the last morsels off of my large plate. My only minor complaint would be the size of the tiny shrimp in my enchilada.

Overall, the food is great, service was fantastic, but prices are a little steep for Mexican food.

The Monterey County Weekly has given the Whole Enchilada a handful of awards in the past few years including 2008's Best Mexican Restaurant in the county, and Best Restaurant in north Monterey County in 2000 and 2005.

The owners of the Whole Enchilada run the neighboring Moss Landing Inn, the Lighthouse Harbor Grill, and the Whole Enchilada Market (where you can get much cheaper sandwiches!). Their daughter runs the artsy Haute Enchilada, also in Moss Landing.

Address: Moss Landing, CA
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Highway One and Moss Landing Road
othercontact: eat@wenchilada.com
Phone: 831-633-3038
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Mexican
Website: http://www.wenchilada.com/wenchilada/whole-frame.htm

• Updated Jun 15, 2008

Comments

Ewingjr98 Visits Here Frequently!

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Moss Landing?