"Qazvin - Day 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Things to Do Tip by suvanki

Iran Things to Do: 198 reviews and 430 photos

Imamzadeh-ye Hossein - Qazvin
by suvanki

Day 2 and Guide Number 2 - Majid, who was to be with me for the next 6 days.

After breakfast, I checked out of Hotel Mashad, and we set off through Tehrans 'rush hour' traffic, heading for Qazvin, Masouleh and Rasht, before reaching Bandar-e- Anzali, where we were to stay for the next 2 nights.

Qazvin is well worth visiting, to see the stunning tilework of the Friday (Jameh) Mosque, the 3 gates of Rah Kushk, Ali Qapu and Tehran, Chehel Sotun Palace, and my favourite, the OTT Imamzadeh-ye-Hossein. (Please visit my Qazvin pages for more info and photos)

Qazvins other attractions include its bazaar and caravanserai, cisterns and Hammams, churches, mosques, shrines and historical houses.

The city dates back to the 3rd century BC, when Shapur 1, the Sassanid King ruled. It developed due to its fertile soil, making it a centre of agriculture. Fruit- particularly seedless grapes, nuts, wheat, cotton are its main crops. Sheep provide wool for the clothing and carpet industry, as well as their meat for food production. Many flour, wool and cotton mills, textile producers, clothing factories and electrical goods factories are established in Qazvin city and its Province.

Qazvins other 'claim to fame' is its non- PC 'joke' that the men of this city are all predatory homosexuals. I'd read this in my guide book, and in other travel articles, where guides or visitors from outside Qazvin had mimed limp wrist , or bending down movements to emphasise their point!
Majid just said that it's a joke in Iran, that the men here seemed to prefer the men to the women.

The men of other cities don't escape lightly - Those from Rasht - our next destination, were seen as 'sexually liberal and constant cuckolds!! So perhaps THAT'S the reason why Majid drove through without stopping!

Majid had suggested that it might be better to alter the planned itinarary. Instead of going to Masuleh today, we'd drive to Bandar-e- Anzali, then go tomorrow, when we'd have more time. I was quite happy with this idea.

We left Qazvin behind, after lunch at the Iran Hotel (Chelo Kabab (mince meat), salad, yogurt, Fanta and cay) in a north westerly direction heading towards Rudbar

• Updated Feb 7, 2009

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Iran?