"Kefalotiri" Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Local Custom Tip by JLBG

Cefalonia Island Local Customs: 8 reviews and 9 photos

The first time I have tasted the famous kefalotiri, a Greek hard cheese made with the milk of goats was on Kefalinia. Because of the name, I naturally made the connections and concluded that it was a cheese from the island. I was wrong! I have found the official definition of Kefalotiri as it ownd a DOC. I quote :

Kefalotiri is traditional Greek cheese with Controlled Denomination of Origin (DOC), the long history and name of which are intimately connected with the customs and dietary habits of the Greeks. It is manufactured from ewe's or goat's milk or mixture of the two in the regions of Macedonia, Sterea Hellas, Peloponnese, Thessaly, Crete island, Epirus, Ionian Islands and Cyclades islands.

Kefalotiri is considered the ancestor of many hard Greek cheeses. It has a salty and piquant taste and a unique rich aroma which is obtained after ripening for at least 3 months. It is consumed as table cheese, grated cheese, in cheese-pastries and as saganaki (shallow-fried cheese).

Then, why the name? I have not found a satisfactory answer. ?because it has the shape of a head? (kefalos) is not convincing as kefalotiri looks like a disk about 7-8cm diameter and 2-3 cm thick. I have never seen anybody (nor any animal) with this shape of head! Anybody has got the explanation?

• Updated Jun 13, 2008

More Local Customs in Cefalonia Island (1)

Have you been to Cefalonia Island?