VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Sunrise, Sunset and Camping in the Red Center" Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Things to Do Tip by moirholj

The coveted sunrise view of Uluru

The coveted sunrise view of Uluru
    by moirholj
      Morning Light, 5am... In the Outback. Perfect!
    by moirholj

I took this trip to Australia's Red Center in November of 2007, and here is what I found: Like other VTers suggest, camping at this time is great, and just a bit chilly at night. I would recommend highly camping in this area. Not only will you enjoy the solitude, but the star filled night sky is something to behold.

I find that sunrise anywhere in this area is particularly beautiful. The morning light at about 5:00am in November is breathtaking and absolutely wonderful for photography, either amature or professional.

I went to see the sun rise on Uluru and thought it was a great experience, but be prepared for the crowds. I don't know where they manifest from, but seriously, hundreds of people will appear out of no-where to see that 'ultimate' sunrise and then slowly disappear into the abyss. It is hard to feel like you are having a unique and special experience with 30 tour buses and hundreds of tourist jockeying for position in front of 'the rock', but it is beautiful all the same.

I hiked the Olgas and it was one of my favorite experiences in this area. If you have an opportunity to see the sun rise or set on the Olgas, I can only imagine that it will be less crowded than Uluru, and just as beautiful, if not more so because of the solitude.

I wish you a wonderful adventure!

cheers,
Moirholj

• Written Jun 12, 2008

Comments

moirholj

“By a long shot, the best memento of any trip is personal change. (Franz Wisner)”

Have you been to Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)?